Kiziltash St. Stephen's Monastery Sourozh

You are an owner
Kizil-Tash in the translation from the Tatar language means - red stone. Church's Tradition says that in the VIII century, in this area the summer residence of St. Stephen, Archbishop Sourozh (Surozh - the ancient name Sudak)
Height Kiziltash mountains - 400-600 meters above sea level. In honor of staying in these places are St. Stephen's was founded a monastery. On the tops of the mountains were set huge, well-scanned by a distance crosses. Attraction of the monastery is the mineral springs, located in one of the surrounding caves. According to the legend in a cave near the healing spring was found Theotokos. Many travelers who visited the Kizil-Tash, for the natural beauty of this area called Crimean Switzerland.
Shortly after the appearance of the Virgin began to make pilgrimages here, where the Source committed thanksgiving. Later in this cave at the Source has found a refuge Bulgarian girl from the village of Constantine Kishlav, the future founder of the St. Pa-Ráckeve convent.
In the 50-s of the XIX century the wandering monks settled Source Panteleimon and Andronicus, who initially built the hut, it was plastered with clay, and built here the monastery. Visited in 1855 by the Archbishop of Kherson and Tauride Innocent (Borisov) sanctified this place in honor of St. Stephen Surozh.
At his request the Holy Synod has given permission for the establishment of this place Crimea coenobitic male monastery. The first rector was appointed Abbot Arsenius, and three years after the founding of the monastery was put monk Balaklava St. George Monastery Parfenov, who was able to establish his administrative skills, work on the construction of premises, made landscaping, organized the work of part-time farms, so that was capable of not only feed the monks and pilgrims, but also take the surplus for sale to the public. The main direction of the abbot Parthenios - to be able to organize the father of the monastery. Labor and care, and its monks were built cell and axial direction premises, landscaping area kin, and landed a garden and vineyard.
Abbot very negative attitude to human vices: laziness, drunkenness and theft. He eradicated them not only of the monastic brethren, but also among the local population.
More than 20 years after the rector Parthenios abode ruled Abbot Nicholas, by which to strengthen the material base and the ascetic life of the monastery. In 1870, the monastery was built stone church of the Assumption from the belfry. However, the church was very cold, so the services were held in the summer.
In 1885, in honor of St. Stephen was built a new church in a house of worship, which were placed in the sacristy and keliya for the sexton, and on the north side were attached to his cell in slushnikov. By 1894 the monastery with 65 people with novices and monks. Also, by this time there was a monastery library, in which there were 114 volumes of church-historical and theological literature.
Before the outbreak of the First World War took place in the monastery of the difficulties and hardships associated with the creation of the material base of the monastery, which contributed to the growth of discontent brotherhood among themselves.
So, from the beginning of the monastery began to form groups of disaffected with regard to those who could not or did not want to physically work. Heavy moral climate that prevailed in kin, do not reinforce the spiritual influence on the local population, but rather, on the contrary, destroyed the hopes of St. Innocent, which he associated with the creation of most revered holy places of Crimea small monasteries built on the principle of the Holy Mountain Athos, capable not only to the spirit of unity of mind, but also enlist the people of other religion, primarily Muslim.
With the advent of Soviet power in the monastery were often committed predatory attacks by gangs and parties. Thus, on 22 April 1920 at the monastery was made a regular raid bandits, in which money was stolen, monastic documents, savings books and interest bank securities in the amount of 83,135 rubles.
In April 1921, the Spiritual Council of the monastery decided to establish working communities in order to keep the church property, churches and the monastery. However, representatives of the Crimean authorities rejected monastic solutions and created in cenobitic child labor colony for young children aged 6 to 10 years. Monks only offer guide agricultural work in the children of the colony as a master, for which he was supposed to pay the salaries.
In May 1922, for the needs of Pomgol (help golodayutsschm in the Volga region) from the monastery was seized five silver objects weighing 12 pounds 72 spool.
A 29 April 1923 at a meeting of the commission was mezhdovedomstvennoy decided to eliminate Toplovsky, Armenian and Kiziltash monasteries.
October 5, 1923 KrymTsIK Bureau agreed with the conclusion of the NKVD of the Crimea on the need to eliminate Kiziltash monastery.
In 1924, the monks of the monastery began to leave the area. Re-sheniem CEC Crimea in place of abode of child labor colony colony was established name M.Kalinin People's Commissariat of Social Security.
December 22, 1926 the Bureau KrymTsIK made a final decision on the liquidation of the Holy Assumption and Seraphim Church Kiziltash monastery.
In 1927, the monastery was established a new work gang "Kizil-Tash", consisting of 14 villagers Otuzy. Under the contract, members of the farm had to move to the Kyzyl-Tash, leaving their homes in the village and land. However, farmers on time, various reasons postponing their resettlement. In 1926-1927 the farm sector because of crop failures could not pay with a state land lease that debt was 6,000 rubles. In March 1928 gang was forced to take back the state loan for the obtaining of 80 pounds of grain for sowing.
In 1927, the Holy Assumption Church of the monastery was converted into a hostel staff selhozarteli.
In 1928, Sudak executive committee raised the issue of the demolition of the Holy Assumption Church. KrymTsIK found it impractical. Then, the district administration has decided to demolish the dome.
After the Second World War in the monastery was established military unit, in which the location of stored nuclear warheads for the ships of the Navy of the USSR.
In 1995, the revival of the monastery. The buildings of the monastery were not kept, and the service at first used one of the rooms are located a military unit.
October 29, 1998 the State Committee on Religious Affairs registered the Charter Communities Kiziltash Orthodox Monastery of St. Stephen Sourozh that is the beginning of a difficult test in the restoration of monastic life in the monastery.

GPS coordinates: 44.9349099581102, 35.0751779703216 qrcode
Distance: km


Gain Control

You will be able to gain control over the place or event on the site CityPlaces.Info and edit it at any time. And it's free.